Masters and PhD Thesis Using the SMART Program: Completed:
- Gullickson A.M. Attention and Interpretation Training in a Community-Based Mental Health Agency. Masters in Social Work Clinical Research Committee, Saint Catherine University/University of Saint Thomas School of Social Work, 2011.
- West R. R. Brief mindfulness skills training intervention among low SES workers. PhD Thesis, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2011.
- Voigt B. The Impact of Attention and Interpretation Therapy (AIT) on the Practitioner: Beneficial for Helping Professionals? Master’s thesis, St. Catherine University 2013.
- Chesak S. Attention and Interpretation Therapy Among Newly Hired Nurses. PhD Thesis, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
- Sharma V., M.D. SMART Program for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Masters in Clinical Research, Mayo Clinic Rochester.
Completed and Published Manuscripts:
- Sood A, Prasad K, Schroeder D, Varkey P. Stress management and resilience training among Department of Medicine faculty: a pilot randomized clinical trial. J Gen Intern Med. 2011 Aug;26(8):858–61.
- Loprinzi CE, Prasad K, Schroeder DR, Sood A. Stress Management and Resilience Training (SMART) program to decrease stress and enhance resilience among breast cancer survivors: a pilot randomized clinical trial. Clin Breast Cancer. 2011 Dec;11(6):364–8.
- Prasad K, Wahner-Roedler DL, Cha SS, Sood A. Effect of a single-session meditation training to reduce stress and improve quality of life among health care professionals: a “dose-ranging” feasibility study. Altern Ther Health Med. 2011 May-Jun;17(3):46–9.
- Sharma V, Sood A, Prasad K, Loehrer L, Schroeder D, Brent B. Bibliotherapy to decrease stress and anxiety and increase resilience and mindfulness: a pilot
trial. Explore (NY). 2014 Jul-Aug;10(4):248–52.
- Stress Sood A, Sharma V, Schroeder DR, Gorman B. Stress Management and Resiliency Training (SMART) program among Department of Radiology faculty: a pilot randomized clinical trial. Explore (NY). 2014 Nov-Dec;10(6):358–63.
- Chesak S, Bhagra A, Schroeder D, Foy D, Cutshall S, Sood A. Enhancing Resilience Among New Nurses: Feasibility and Efficacy of a Pilot Intervention. The Ochsner Journal. 2015.
Abstracts / Posters:
- Gullickson A. M., Graham M. A., Amundson K.A., Smyth K. T., Sood A. A Mindfulness and Neuroscience Based Intervention: Stress Management and Resilience in the Workplace. Poster session at the meeting of the International Symposia of Contemplative Studies, Denver, Colorado, April 2012.
- West R., Lauver D., Sood A. Mindfulness skills training for stress management among low socioeconomic workers. Midwest Nursing Research Society 36th Annual Research Conference, Dearborn, Michigan, April, 2012.
- Sood A. Stress Management and Resilience Training (SMART) Program to Decrease Stress and Enhance Resilience Among Breast Cancer Survivors: A Randomized Trial. 2012 International Research Congress on Integrative Medicine and Health, Portland, Oregon, May 15–18, 2012.
- Sood A. Stress Management and Resilience Training among Department of Medicine Faculty: A Pilot Randomized Clinical Trial. 2012 International Research Congress on Integrative Medicine and Health, Portland, Oregon, May 15–18, 2012.
- Sharma V, Sood A. Self Help Intervention to Decrease Stress and Increase Mindfulness: A Pilot Trial. 2012 International Research Congress on Integrative Medicine and Health, Portland, Oregon, May 15–18, 2012.
- West, R. R., Lauver, D.R., & Sood A. Enhancing study recruitment and retention among community-based low socioeconomic workers. 19th National Evidence-based Practice Conference, Iowa, City, IA, May 3–4, 2012.
- Chesak S., Foy D., Cutshall S., Sood A. A Stress Management and Resiliency Training (SMART) Program for Newly Hired Nurses. 2012 AHNA Annual Conference. Snowbird, UT, June 2012.
- West, R, Lauver, D, Sood A. Strategies to improve recruitment and retention among a sample of low socioeconomic workers. Midwest Nursing Research Society 36th Annual Research Conference, Dearborn, Michigan, April 12–15, 2012.
- Chesak, S, Sood, A, Morin, K, Cutshall, S, Douglas, KV, Ridgeway, J. Integration of A Stress Management and Resiliency Training (SMART) Program in a Nurse Residency
Program: A Feasibility Study. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. May 2014, 20(5): A101-A101. doi:10.1089/acm.2014.5267. Published in Volume: 20
Issue 5: May 7, 2014
- Train Your Brain Engage Your Heart Transform Your Life: A Course in Attention and Interpretation Therapy. Sood, A
- Attention and Interpretation Therapy: A Personal Workbook. Sood, A
- The Mayo Clinic Guide to Stress-Free Living. Sood, A
- The Mayo Clinic Handbook for Happiness. Sood, A
Manuscripts in Preparation:
- Sood A, Sharma V, Schroeder D, Gorman B. Stress management and resilience training (SMART) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
- Sood A, Fuehrer D, Schroeder D. Attention and Interpretation Therapy: Outcomes of Train the Trainer program.
- Wernenberg B, Clark M, Berkland B, Friend, K, Jenkins S, Sood A. Stress management and resilience training (SMART) for Mayo Clinic Employees.
- Khan Z, Jensen J, Sood A. Stress management and resilience training (SMART) for couples undergoing IVF.
- Chesak S, Cutshall S, Schroeder D, Sood A. Stress management and resilience training (SMART) for nurses: A one-year follow up.
- Steinkraus L, Sood A. Integration of Stress management and resilience training (SMART) program among medical students: A pilot study.
- Magtiby D, Sood A. Online Stress management and resilience training (SMART) program for transplant care nurses.
- SMART through Skype to patients with breast cancer (Ghosh K., Fuehrer D.)
- SMART/AIT for Employees at DAHLC (Clark M.)
- SMART/AIT MSHS Course Outcomes (Fuehrer D.)
- SMART for Transplant Caregivers (Arizona) (Stonnington C.)
- SMART for New Nurses (Chesak S.)
- SMART for Transplant patients (Jowsey S.)
- SMART for weight loss in adults and children (Kumar S.)
- SMART for Mayo Medical Students
- SMART for Public School teachers in Rochester and Austin, MN.
- SMART to enhance resiliency among patients undergoing abdominal hernia surgery.
- Taught the program to approximately 150,000 learners so far
- 150 presentations per year
- Program now incorporated as curriculum for Mayo Medical School Students
- Regional reach through Mayo Health System, Community trainers
- Transform / AIT Course: 400 completed so far
- Mayo CME Course in Wisconsin Dells (July 2015)
- Robert Wood Johnson Health Care Pioneer Lecture – February 2015
- TEDx Talk by Dr. Sood at University of Northern Iowa – March 2015